Only for REGISTERED USERS. If you are a REGISTERED USER please login at the bottom of this page. If you are not a REGISTERED USER and want to contact this CBA Adviser, please register. CBA Associates only need to login to contact network members.
Location Main Office: City // Nairobi | Country // Kenya
Banking and securities, Business restructuring/ turnarounds, Commercial law, Company restructuring, Conveyancing, Corporate real estate advisory, Dispute resolution, Gaming law advisory, Government and relations expertise, Immigration law, Intellectual property law (IP law), Legal IT advisory (data, Crypto currency, micro finance), M&A transactions, Project management and coordination, Public Private Partnerships, Tax law
Experience in Industries, Products & Services:
Aviation, Betting and gambling, Construction, Energy, Franchise expansion, Hospitality, Insurance, Leisure, Mining, Non-profit making organisations, Oil and gas, Pharmaceutical industry, Real Estate, Renewable energy
Kahianyu Mathews, educated at the University of Nairobi with an LLM in Gaming Law and a LLB from the same university has been the Legal Affairs Manager at Velex Advisory Ltd, a legal consultancy firm based in Nairobi, providing high-end legal services to clients in the public sector, private sector locally and internationally. He has further practised law as an associate advocate in the Commercial Team for Tripleoklaw Advocates and P Kamau & Kamau Advocates law firms with a specialty in Law and Government Relations Services before opening his consultancy. He is further a & member of the LSK - Nairobi Branch Committees of Commercial Law, IT & Public Interest. He is also a Certified Public Secretary Finalist.
He has been involved in various transactions including:
• The legal structuring for the expansion of multinational gaming companies in over 20 Jurisdictions in Africa
• Providing legal and transactional advisory for a consortium involved in the development of a Real Estate Housing Project on over 200 acres of land in Nairobi Kenya, known as Suncity;
• Acted for an LSE listed financial institution in the acquisition of a majority shareholding in a Kenyan bank & Insurance Company;
• Advised a leading Kenyan bank with subsidiaries in Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and South Sudan, in a corporate restructuring exercise through the formation of a non-operating holding company domiciled in Kenya;
• Providing legal support, business advisory in the registration, set up, project management of a leading gaming company in over twenty jurisdictions in Africa;
• Providing legal support and government relations to a leading app-based Microfinance Company in Kenya and Uganda;
• Involved in providing government & social relation services to a Mining Company in Kenya whom the locals had started protesting their mining activities; and
• Processed over ten company restructuring programs where foreign companies acquire shares in local companies in East Africa.
Mr Kahianyu belongs to the Law Society of Kenya, and he has worked in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Sierra Leone, Rwanda, Nigeria, Mozambique, DRC Congo, Malawi, Ethiopia, and Namibia.
He and joined CBA as Member Legal Expert in Nairobi in December 2019.
Languages spoken: English, Swahili
Years in Advisory: 5
Accompanied & accomplished deals: 17
Total Transaction Volume: EUR 28,000,000